Monday, September 14, 2009

How to Live The Christian Life

I am finishing a Bible study that I have been doing for the past couple of months - Conversation Peace by Mary Kassian. Week 6, Day 2 spoke about Jesus being our Teacher and referenced Psalm 32:8 – “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” The study explained that Jesus invited people to take on His yoke and learn from Him. It explained the “yoke” referred to the process of training a young bullock to plow, describing how “farmers harnessed it to the same yoke as a mature ox. The young bullock, which was dwarfed in size by the large animal, did not pull any of the weight. It merely learned to walk in a field under control, harnessed to a partner. The mature ox pulled all the weight and set the direction for the youngster, whose only responsibility was to walk alongside.”

I was reminded of Colossians 2:6 “so then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, so walk in Him”. The first time I was brought to this verse it was connected to Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” The speaker (Louie Giglio) connected the two verses by explaining that we are to live the Christian life the same way we were saved – by grace through faith!!! That teaching was powerfully impressed upon me some five years ago – while doing the study, I got a “visual” illustration of how that looks. Jesus pulls all the weight, takes the entire burden and directs my path - as long as I remain yoked to Him! He promises His yoke is easy and His burden is light. What a delightful thought. I am learning to rest in this precious truth.

Let’s praise Him for His lavish love towards us!

Blessings,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post your comment here. Please sign your first name at the end (last name is optional)