Sunday, June 21, 2009

What are Your MOUNTAINS and HILLS?

Isaiah 54:10 “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will never be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed from you, says the LORD, who has compassion on you.”

One of the things that really impacted me when we were doing the Esther Bible Study in the spring was the verse where Esther said “If I perish, I perish”. Beth encouraged us to fill in first blank with something that we are facing that is a worst-case scenario, and fill in the second blank with something that God might do in and through it. “If I _______, then God ____________” It really helped me to put my fears into perspective.

Recently I've been having some health issues that have caused me to ask God: "Why God? Why me? Why now?" About 2 weeks into my illness, I came across the verse written above (Isaiah 54:10). I decided to commit the verse to memory. As I was reading it over and over, and meditating on it, I thought about God's chosen people, and what mountains and hills represented to them. I looked up some other passages where mountains or hills were talked about. In every one, it seemed that the mountains and hills represented something solid, sure, unshakeable, immovable. Something that could be depended on.

I thought about the things in my life that I consider unshakeable and sure: things like my family, my home, my financial stability, my marriage, even my health.

When I looked at Is. 54:10 again, I could see that it was a verse that could also be fill-in-the-blanks: “Though ________ be shaken and ________ be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will never be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed from you, says the LORD, who has compassion on you.”

I needed to hear that verse! Not because it answered my questions, but because it assured me that nothing can remove God's love and peace from me!

Now read the verse once more and fill in the blanks with the things that you have come to rely on. And this time, personalize it and read it back to God:

“Though my __________ be shaken, and my ______________ be removed, yet Your unfailing love for me will never be shaken, nor Your covenant of peace be removed. LORD, You this is Your promise to me, and You have compassion on me”

He is Faithful and He is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post your comment here. Please sign your first name at the end (last name is optional)