Monday, July 13, 2009

GPS - God's Practical Steps


I have a GPS. When they hit the affordable market I decided I wanted one. Not for guidance, as I had no idea what it was capable of, but for fun. Those who know me know that I love my tech “toys”. It was new and technological so I wanted one. A friend received a GPS from her husband for Christmas and showed me – explaining what it could do. NOW I really wanted one. Before it was for fun, but now it seemed a necessity as I am often on the road for my job. My friends must have thought it a necessity for me as well because they gave me one amidst my squeal of delight in Tim Horton’s!

For those who are not so technically inclined GPS is the acronym for Global Positioning System. It is pre-loaded with maps of North America (and other places if you want) and also has a directory of almost every conceivable store, hospital, gas station, ATM location and, definitely not least, all Tim Horton’s! No matter where you are at, if you need an ATM, gas station, car service etc, you just input that into your GPS and, voila, you have immediate directions from where you are at. When you are travelling you set your destination and it calculates the directions. When you miss your turn, which is very hard to do with the little voice repeatedly reminding you to turn, it recalculates the directions and gets you back on course.

Well, you have to guess that I “played” with it. The very first night, driving home I decided to use it. I kept making turns against what it was telling me to do and hearing “recalculating”. When I got close to home it told me to turn down a road I really did not think would get me to my route. I was so surprised to find a new way home! Wow, was I impressed. It also found a faster way home from the local grocery store I have been using for over 3 years!

Shortly after I received my GPS, I was going to Buffalo airport for a 6:30 a.m. flight so I programmed in the address and set out. Now, I have been to this airport before, but another neat detail about the GPS is that it gives you a very accurate, updated time of arrival and this is what I wanted. When I headed out at 3:30 a.m. I knew where I was going...until I could not get on the highway – the road was blocked for repair work. No fear, the GPS was soon heard to say “recalculating”. I followed the directions and was soon back on the route and heading to the border. However, the GPS had me going a way I had not gone before. So I proceeded to go my usual way ignoring the GPS directions. I crossed the border and heard MANY “recalculating”. There is another feature to this GPS and that is the “mute” button. I used it. I saw the little airplane logo and “airport” sign so proceeded to follow it. Did you know there is an airport in Niagara Falls? Well I did not. In my insistence that I was right and ignoring the GPS “recalculating” directions, this is just where I ended up! Here I sat 4:30 in the morning, no one around, dark and absolutely no idea where I was. I looked at the GPS and actually spoke out loud to it “okay, you win, take me to Buffalo airport. I will take every direction you give without question!” I rested in its directions and, within 25 minutes, it had me at my destination in lots of time. Amazing little gadget!

When I was removing it from its home on my car window and placing it in my purse, I had what seemed to be a nudge from the Lord. I thought about His Word that provides flawless direction for my life. It even “recalculates” when I decide not to listen to it (And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28). Just like the GPS, He gives me direction (Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21). I was convicted by the thought that if I only listened and followed the Lord as unfalteringly as I have this little man-made tool I could have avoided many wrong-turns. I wondered if I had “muted” the Lord’s directions at times when I was so very sure I knew the way. And, just as the GPS helped me discover better routes amongst the familiar, I am thinking that, by following the Word even when I am doing something so familiar, it can make my life more simple. One of the definitions of simple is “one thing”. By following the greatest commandment (one thing) from God, to love Him with my whole heart, soul, mind and strength, my life will then be well on the road to fulfilling the purpose for which He created me – His Glory!. (“Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he.” Isaiah 43:7, 10)

Oh yes, there is one more fantastic feature on this GPS tool – “Go Home”. No matter where you are at, you press FAVORITES and right at the top it says “Go Home”. When you press this the GPS instantly calculates the way home – from anywhere. How often have I made a mess of my life and try to clean it up before I go to God in prayer? I need to remember the GPS feature and simply “Go Home” – no matter where I am at, to just ask God to get me home! He will.

Finally, I have been convicted, just like I actually took my GPS on the plane to Florida, to take His Word everywhere with me; to work, when shopping, and any other “everyday” activities. So, I have another GPS – God’s Practical Steps, to follow that provides life direction.

May our lives simply glorify our Lord and King.

June

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I think we all have "Muted" God and gone our own way. But isn't it awesome that He to ALWAYS recalculates our life and gets us going again.
    Blessings,
    Lynn R - OR

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful post to begin my morning! It's especially important for me to remember that God's way is ALWAYS right, especially when having an extremely challenging week. . . thanks for the challenge/encouragement.
    bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on June!! I will always think of your words now when I use the GPS in Stan's truck!
    For my verse for the 1st - 15th, I am memorizing Psalm 19: 7-8 from The Message. It's weird how hard it is to memorize a verse from a new translation that you've previously memorized in KJV or NIV! It's like a tongue twister for my brain.
    Verse 8 says: "The lifemaps of God are right, showing the way to joy; the directions of God are plain, and easy on the eyes"
    Yes, God's Practical Steps are right, and plain, and they do lead to joy!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to post your comment here. Please sign your first name at the end (last name is optional)