Monday, July 6, 2009

HOW IS YOUR RACE GOING?

If you are an athlete, you know that excellence in a sport depends on your efforts and your willingness to train and work at it. It takes discipline in training your body properly to achieve optimal results. Spiritual growth is like that too. What is your spiritual training program?

Do you “run like a man running aimlessly”, or “fight like a man beating the air”, says Paul to the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 9:26. I underlined the word aimlessly above because success, motivation, perseverance all come alive because of an aim, a goal, a purpose. In verse 24 the apostle Paul “runs in such a way as to get the prize.” In verse 25 Paul says the world does it “to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.”

Our race as Christians should never be aimless!

Recently I was having a mundane week because I had a sore foot and could not walk anywhere, and so I called out to God in prayer, “Light a fire underneath me Lord! Keep me moving, keep me working for you. Help me never to cease seeking your will and guidance in my life!” Even when we cannot move, we can be working for the Lord in prayer, or on the phone or computer, or reading, and oh yes, memorizing scripture!” There are so many ways we can be training spiritually.

1 Corinthians 9:27 “I discipline my body like an athlete training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.” (NLT)

God has created each one of us with special gifts and talents to use for His glory. “For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do”. (NIV) Ephesians 2:10. How are you using your unique gifts in your race? Isn’t it wonderful to know God planned our race. He gave us the talent and helps us with the training. Galations 5:7 says “You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?” (NIV) Don’t let anything or anyone stop you from running the race that ends in God’s loving arms.

How is your race going?

Sincerely,
Tammy

5 comments:

  1. Tammy, thank you for that great reminder!!
    -Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great devotion. This i exactly what I talked about at the womens conference that I spoke at here in nepal on sunday!

    Hey fellow siestas.. I have some exciting news for you. And I have some other thoughts I would like to share that God has recently given me on the thought closet.. but I will wait on that.. don’ thave time to sufficiently write it out.. but I wanted to share with my siestas my exciting news.

    I have been believing God before I leave nepal to see one person saved. It’s a very hard ground here. People are so entrenched in Hinduism that the concept of following one God is so foreign to them. So many times Satan has lied to my thoughts and said your wasting your life, what are you doing here ect.. why is God “making you suffer:” for Him here.. (although these were totally lies from the evil one because my time here has been AMAZING!) But I just kept asking God to help me believe him for just one lady to come to know Christ at least.

    Well here, one week before I leave we did a womens conference yesterday. I knew God was moving. Several of my Hindu friends came. I had started (well God had started) a ladies Bible study about 1 year and a half ago. It was so funny because I started it hoping to teach English speaking ladies, but none of the ladies that came spoke English, so even thought I was so scared I had to teach in nepalee every week. It has been the BIGGEST blessing. Well my househelpers sister started coming to Bible study– I knew God was working on her heart. She was Hindu but I just knew God was working. She continued to come and I saw God working on her so much. Well last night after the conference her sister (our househelper) led her to pray with her to recieve Christ!
    Glory– one week before I leave. She was just glowing with the lord. So just wanted to let you know you have a new siesta in the Lord in nepal. Pray for her as her husband is hindu still.

    wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a way to get going in the morning – to hear of Jesus’ work on the cross and a new child in the family! Oh, Jenn, I am so excited for you to have been a part of God’s work and that dear woman’s salvation. That is just like our Father though and I love Him for it!

    Tammy – thank you for your wonderful devo. To answer your question “How is your race going”? - Praise the Lord, I am my race is going one day at a time, keeping my eyes on Jesus, my Rock and my Redeemer. Tammy, you said “He gave us the talent and helps us with the training”. And that He does. And then, when we do the thing, whatever He is calling us to do, He BLESSES us for doing it. That is what totally boggles my mind – He gives me the gift, gives me a thing to do with it, draws me up to the starting line, hold me up throughout that particular race and then, when I cross that particular finish line, He blesses ME for running. No wonder He is worthy of all glory!! As I consider His measureless love I am always overwhelmed with it.

    Blessings and prayers,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this beats with what I wrote just yesterday on Higher Grounds....my race in the current is to be prepared...prevention is key.

    Lovingly,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn - how wonderful that you were able to welcome that dear Nepalese woman to the family of God!!!
    The angels in heaven are certainly rejoicing!

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to post your comment here. Please sign your first name at the end (last name is optional)