Saturday, August 15, 2009

August 15th Scripture Memory Challenge

Good Morning! I am in awe of God's goodness as I realize that since I've joined this Scripture Memory challenge, I've memorized 8 passages of Scripture! I love God's timing. It seems that He brings so many opportunities to put into practise, or to be mindful of the verses that I've memorized!
Today the verse I've chosen is Psalm 119:147-148
I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promises.

I chose this verse because lately I've been experiencing a lot of waking up at 3 or 4am and being wide awake. Or lying in bed at midnight, not being able to get to sleep. I want to learn these verses so that I'll remind myself that I can cry out to God for help and His desire is for me to hope in Him and in His Word. I want to use that "awake" time to meditate on His promises.
Ok, so what's your verse, and why are you choosing it?
Judi

3 comments:

  1. Ephesians 2:8-10 NLT
    God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.
    Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.
    For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

    I've been rehearsing some "old, familiar" passages in my memory, and making them fresh by changing the translation, or by learning the context verse around the familiar one. I need to continually remind myself that my life, no matter the human "quality" of it, has purpose to God, and He still has something for me to do, until He calls me home! I also continually need the reminder that my salvation has nothing to do with my efforts or abilities, and everything to do with God's mercy and compassion! I think the longer I know Him, the more amazed and grateful I am that He saved me, and that He loves me so very much!!!

    On a side note, what a great verse, Judi! I've had seasons of early morning wakefulness, and rehearsing Scripture, singing hymns to myself, and praying my lil' heart out has made those times special rather than dreaded. And, God would refresh me, even though tiredness may set in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My verse this time is
    Habukkuk 3:2
    Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.

    I have had this on an index card for some time, maybe from when I first did Believing God, I'm not sure but I want to put it to memory so that I will remember that not only are God's deeds awesome but that in this time of apathy in many places in the church we need to ask God to renew those awe inspiring deeds in our day.
    I really appreciate both Judi's and Bev's. Bev I already memorized Eph. 2: 8 & 9 so for one of my earlier verses I chose Eph. 2:10.
    Judi I have had some of those sleepless times too and think it's a great time to pray and meditate on scripture!
    Blessings to all of you.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judi,
    I have been having some sleepless time in the night too, and I feel this is when God has something to say to me. I use this time too, to talk to Him; he'll provide me with the rest later. This is my memory verse in the darkness of the nights:

    John8:12
    "Jesus said to the people, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't be stumbling through the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to post your comment here. Please sign your first name at the end (last name is optional)